Wednesday, March 28, 2012

The Long and Winding Road

This piece is inspired by my recent trip to Tennessee. The proper mood has been set as I start writing this. I am drinking coffee from a Great Smoky Mountains Railroad mug. The coffee is flavored with Blackberry/Ginger sugar crystals purchased in Kentucky.

Different aspects of my trip to Tennessee reminded me of the path my life has taken since last Fall. In some instances, there are parallels. In other respects, there are differences between the two.

My journey began on a cool, gray morning. There was a slight drizzle in NE Ohio. As I traveled south, the sky started to brighten. The clouds were no longer gray. Eventually, blue skies appeared. White, billowy clouds dotted the sky. The temperature improved more than 30 degrees during the course of my trip.

The transition of weather during my trip reminded me of the past several months of my life. I gave up my former life for a chance at a more fulfilling life. Thunder, lightning and basketball-sized hail aptly describe the "weather" I faced initially. Over time, the clouds have been lifting. The hail has subsided. There is still rain at times. Rays of sunshine peaking through the clouds produce occasional rainbows. I know things will continue to head in a positive direction.

I am grateful for the chance I had to spend an extended period of time in Tennessee with my brother. I am also grateful for his hospitality. I thought of this time as a "personal sabbatical." I did not know what I expected from my time away. I think that revealed itself over time. I felt my soul had a chance to "breathe." I am not sure how else to describe it. I spent quality time with my brother, tried new things (I already wrote a short piece about "firsts") and enjoyed whatever direction we took in terms of exploring the area.

I am working to maintain the same outlook in my life. I do not know what the future holds for me. I look forward to finding out though. I remind myself that the journey is every bit as important as the destination. The little things in life have always held special meaning for me. That has been even more pronounced the past several months. I cannot adequately describe how much seeing mountain waterfalls, running the "Tail of the Dragon", enjoying the vistas from the mountains, etc. has meant to me.

Another thing struck me as I made my journey to Tennessee. I passed within a couple hundred yards of where my brother used to live and only a matter of miles from our condominium. The Columbus area was home to both of us for some time. For years, Central Ohio has been a "focal point" of sorts for our family. Mark and I both still have good friends in the Columbus area. The city is no longer a focus of our family though. In a way, I was just passing through another metropolitan area to see where Mark currently lives.

I have also gained more appreciation for music the past several months. I find myself really "listening" to the lyrics of songs and not just hearing them. I have enjoyed listening to Sarah Bareilles, Lifehouse, The Corrs, Vanessa Carlton, Jim Brickman and countless other artists. There are certain songs that "click" as favorites for whatever reason.

Music also played a role during my trip to Tennessee. Songs on both my trip to Tennessee and my trip back to Ohio reminded me of a dear friend. On the way to Tennessee the song I heard was "Boys of Summer" by Don Henley. The song I heard returning to Ohio was "Can't Fight This Feeling" by REO Speedwagon. These songs are examples of how music has gained new meaning in my life.

My time away allowed me to reflect on many areas of my life. I do not know exactly where the path before me leads. I look forward to the journey though.

No comments: