Wednesday, March 28, 2012

"Firsts" - The Spice of Life

During my recent trip to Tennessee, North Carolina, etc. (May 2011) I found myself experiencing a number of "firsts." Some of the "firsts" listed below are serious in nature. Some of them are humorous. They all carry varying degrees of meaning though.

Here are some of the "firsts" from my trip. They are not listed in any particular order:

+ I took my first tram ride (Ober Gatlinburg.)
+ I turned 40 for the first time (guess it will be a "last" as well...lol.)
+ I ate my first antelope steak (it did not taste like chicken) It was tasty...reminded me of a cross between venison and pork.
+ I tried some exotic animal jerkies for the first time (I wrote another note about that.)
+ I experienced my first noteworthy mountain waterfalls (Bald River Falls and Mingo Falls.)
+ I went on my first train ride (Great Smoky Mountains Railroad.)
+ For the first time, I sat inside/on vehicles that were used in a movie or TV series (One of the General Lees from "Dukes of Hazzard" and the Trans Am from "Smokey and the Bandit."
+ I ate cheesy grits for the first time.
+ I watched my first episode of "Squidbillies." (I find myself saying the phrase "pinecone party liquor" from time-to-time.)
+ For the first time, I bought a new Blu-ray DVD "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part I" not knowing when I will actually view it for the first time (there is a back-story related to this one.)
+ I witnessed moonshine being made for the first time.
+ I tried a different preparation of veal for the first time. I usually order Veal Parmigiana or Veal Marsala. I tried Veal Limone. I really enjoyed it.
+ I went for multiple rides on a stretch of road (The Tail of the Dragon - 300+ curves over an 11 mile route) that blew my mind.

I spent some time time thinking about these "firsts."

Being deliberate in experiencing "firsts" helps keep life interesting. It is easy to stick with what we know and are familiar with. We may miss out on other things in life if we never deviate from our comfort zones though.

There can be risk involved with experiencing "firsts" As Chaucer once said, "You can't get anywhere unless you're willing to take a risk." There are times taking risks is easier said than done. Generally speaking, rewards seem to outweigh risks though.

I will always be a work-in-progress when it comes to experiencing "firsts." I hope to continue improving in this area
though.

When is the last time you experienced a "first?"

No comments: