Tuesday, January 25, 2011

The Treasures of My Life

A number of things have happened recently. I feel compelled to capture some of them.

Some people place value on exotic cars, immaculate homes or other "things." Sure, those "things" are nice but pale in comparison to the people in our lives.

Yesterday, there was a very dangerous natural gas situation in a nearby town - population of about 3,000. I know people that live there. One friend in particular came to mind. I went to high school and college with her. I panicked and ended up finding her family's phone number. I was able to establish contact with her. Her and her family are fine. A nearby home was badly burned though.

I have been thinking about another group of friends as the Tribe's Home Opener Day approaches. Somehow I found myself hanging out with a bunch of pharmacists...not that there is anything wrong with that...lol. I met these "gentlemen" through my former appreciation of craft beer. We traded some stellar beers, partook in some Fantasy baseball and have hit a number of Home Openers the past several years.

Our Home Opener experience always includes spending way too much time (and money) at one of my fave Cleveland locales - Great Lakes Brewing Company. We have had some memorable experiences the past few years. One year, 12 or 13 adults "tetrised" themselves into a mini-van (video of that is available.) The van rode the rear axle for the short journey. Another year, we bummed a ride from some complete strangers. It turns out one of the older women in the vehicle had brain surgery just months earlier. They became part of our "story" as we did theirs.

My thoughts drift to another friend from high school that re-located to Colorado last year. I relish the fact that we have become closer friends over time and across greater distances. Friendships can overcome any temporal or spatial limitations if we let them.

I think of another friend I am getting to know in Italy. I don't exactly know how/why our paths have crossed. To be honest it doesn't matter. Across the span of the Atlantic Ocean, I feel like I stumbled upon a kindred spirit.

As for my family, I need to borrow a line from Lou Gehrig's farewell speech:

"I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of this earth."

They have been with me through everything. Each member of my family is truly a blessing. I would not be here today if not for their love and support. Words cannot express how much they mean to me.

I may not be in constant contact with everyone in my life. It will never mean I care an iota less about them. There are countless other things that could be recounted here. The important thing to note is that I would not be the person I am without each and every one of these people in my life.

My family and friends are the platinum, gold and silver in my life. I will leave desiring/appreciating chunks of metal to others. As for me...no thanks.

No comments: