Thursday, December 23, 2010

Day Two - Oregon Trip [12-10-2010]

The saga continues...

Part of of our adventure included a "gaming" component.

There has been a standing joke about an old Nintendo fishing game "The Black Bass." We enjoyed messing around with this game about 20 years ago. My brother brought his Nintendo and the game to Portland. This was entertaining in and of itself (please see comment in previous post about the low threshold required to amuse us.)

Our friend stepped it up a notch. He went into another room and unveiled Rappala's fishing game for the Xbox 360. The game included a controller that was a shortened version of a rod with an open-face reel. We had fun messing around with the newer game.

Our friend also gave my brother and I a year-long Xbox Live subscription for Christmas. We stepped through the process of setting up the Xbox Live accounts. Each person is assigned a system-generated username. My brother's default username was pretty funny -LopsidedErmine4 (basically means crooked weasel.) I am not sure which is more funny...the username itself or the fact LopsidedErmine1 through 3 were previously assigned.

My friend and I also created my brother's avatar. We thought it was spot-on. He decided to change it though.

On to other things...

We decided to grab lunch at a "greasy spoon" in the area - Helvetia Tavern. I have been here both times I visited Oregon. My brother has been here numerous times as well. There are a couple things that set this diner apart from others.

First, there are hundreds of hats hanging from the ceiling. I am not sure what the back-story is. Feel free to make up your own.


The other thing that sets this place apart is their food. Their burger, fries and onion rings are great. They also offer a mayo-based dipping sauce they call "Goop." Here is a "beauty shot" of one of our meals:


After we finished eating, our friend took us to another attraction in the area. The following are pictures of an all-wood train tressel that is still in use. It reminded me of the same architecture utilized in the construction of wooden roller coasters.



Stay tuned for tomorrow's episode...triple-pigged waffles and a very large wooden waterfowl...

No comments: