Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Diagnosis Confusion

I had an appointment with my new psychiatrist this A.M. Things went pretty well.

One thing that has been confusing has been the discussion of what diagnosis (or diagnoses) I have. Each professional has settled on Major Depression (no stretch there.) Some professionals have considered Bipolar II. Today a new diagnosis hit the radar screen - ADD.

This was the first time ADD has been discussed with me. As I talked things over with the Doc. and my wife, several things he mentioned resonated with me. I am keeping an open mind related to this. At times, it can be a challenge to keep hearing different things from different people though.

As long as things continue to improve, I will be glad to do what I can to help in the process.

I will be starting on a couple new meds and backing off of two meds.

1 comment:

Border Life said...

Ah yes, the ongoing quest to find the right diagnosis...or combination of diagnosis. Well, I have BPD. Have I ever been diagnosed officially? No. And with the stigma attached, I'm somewhat happy not to be-- though I feel like I'm messing up health statistics and funding for the less financially fortunate somewhere. I digress. My diagnosis is Major Depressive Disorder. I would bet my 401K, or what's left of it, that I have ADHD. And the BPD, well, it took awhile for me to admit to it and get the right treatment. My pdoc now agrees, based on my discussions with her. I'm high functioning, and 99.99% of the time, my BPD expresses at home. So it's hard to catch if my primary symptoms I come in with are depression and anxiety. If not done already, I encourage you to look at the disorders and see what rings true. Differential diagnosis is not always so easy-- it seems so many symptoms overlap. Diagnosing myself with BPD allowed me to get the right treatment (DBT) and some of the right meds to stabilize me when I had a bit of a bad patch year before last. Had I not done the research myself, I'd probably still be sitting at year 17 in my old therapists office, miserable and barely changed. As for my ADHD, I still am quite the caffeine addict.